1. Write the plural form of the nouns.
Show, poem, leaf, watch, face, sailor, sister-in-law, tomato, foot, fox, day, city.
2. Change the following word combinations using possessive case.
The toys of his nephew, the flat of his mother-in-law, the car of my parents, the surname of Tom and Kate, the address of the Smiths, the birthday of my best friend Nick.
3. Write the degrees of comparison of the following words.
Sad, heavy, difficult, interested, funny, smart, rich, large, great, bad.
4. Open the brackets using the right form of the verb. Translate the sentences into Russian.
1) I Для студентов заочного отделения was very tired, so I (go) to bed early.
2) She just (have) lunch at the canteen.
3) We (graduate) from the institute in 3 years.
4) My mother (not/meet) her friend since 1995.
5) Please don’t make so much noise, I (work).
6) Everything (wake) up in spring.
7) There (be) some pillows on the sofa.
8) There (be) a little coffee-table in the middle of the room.
9) This church (be/built) by the famous architect in the fifteenth century.
5. Write the numerals.
Pattern: 210- two hundred and ten.
456, 18765, 2003, 740321, 59840367.
6. Translate these sentences from Russian into English, make them interrogative and negative.
1) Их родители навестят Для студентов заочного отделения их в следующий выходной.
2) Мы ходим в театр два раза в месяц.
3) Мой отец научил меня водить автомобиль.
4) Брауны уже переехали в новую квартиру.
5) Майкл ищет новую работу сейчас.
6) Она никогда не видела этого человека раньше.
7) Диктант напишут через неделю.
8) Магазины обычно закрываются в 7 часов.
7. Fill in the necessary modal verb (can, may, must), translate the sentences into Russian.
1) We … see the lake from our bedroom window.
2) I am late, I … hurry to catch the bus.
3) Don’t touch the vase: yon … break it.
TEXT. Translate into Russian (in the written form).
Painting, sculpture, and wood carving are three Для студентов заочного отделения of what we call the arts. There are many more. Nobody knows which of the arts is oldest.
We know that cave men drew pictures on the walls of their caves. They carved the handles of some of their bone knives into the figures of animals.
We know that the Egyptians and Babylonians planned and built beautiful buildings several thousand years ago. They decorated their pottery and wove beautiful cloth.
What people find around them in the places they live has a great deal to do with how they try to bring beauty into their homes and lives.
The peoples of Для студентов заочного отделения the North carve beautiful figures out of the ivory from walrus tusks. But they do not plan big and beautiful buildings. With nothing but snow, driftwood, and skins to use, they cannot build such buildings.
In the same way the Indians of the American South-West make lovely silver jewellery set with turquoise. Silver and turquoise are available for these Indians to use.
All works of art are alike in one way. They all have some king of design. A ballet has a design as truly as a picture has; a symphony is designed as carefully as a beautiful building Для студентов заочного отделения.
In his work an artist often expresses some deep feeling. It may be joy, sorrow or fear. It may be a felling of calm or excitement. It may be love of country or nature. The work of art should give the person who sees or hears it the same feeling. In this way the arts are a kind of language – a language often easier for other people to understand than spoken words.